Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Dave23 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 am

Heh, Lakers…
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:03 am

Ja still ok with the West?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:07 am

This is gonna be a fun 2 years.

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:13 am

It’s a hard road…
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:10 pm

"Lakers made some nice moves as well."

What'd they do, trade Jack Nicholson for Spike Lee?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:10 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:53 pm

I would probably enjoy that
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:14 pm

Yeah, me too. Both of them...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:14 pm

Fuck that new White men can jump one though.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:06 am

I don't know if what Nike did was that revolutionary except that they lucked into the best basketball player in the world. But Converse had all the NBA stars back then and also were marketing like crazy. Our high school team even got free shoes from them. The more interesting story would be how did Converse lose it's dominance when it had so many player endorsements in the day? Did Nike just outspend them?

Ok, so I googled it and it seems like it was just bad management.

Learned two things. Converse is now owned by Nike and Chuck Taylor was a basketball player, not some shoe designer.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:37 am

without watching the video, it seemed like Converse was more invested in college and high school ball.

The AND1 documentary on Netflix is pretty good too.

AND1 decided to get into the sneaker game, designed a shoe for Stephon Marbury, and the first game he plays in them, he breaks his ankle.

no kidding, actually happened.

but that was the best thing that happened to them because they go into street ball and make a shit ton of money
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:22 pm

My dads buddy was an NBA agent (Ron Grinker). Back in the late 70s he was with Converse & switched to Pony. Earl The Pearl was wearing them. So was Havlicek I had a bunch of chucks & ponies growing up. Wish he would have switched to Nike.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:00 pm

I suspect most of you can't stand the idea of watching it but the Southern Basketball series on ESPN is pretty good. Of course the first episode is a Kentucky love fest, but then it gets to the 70s with Pete Maravich. I was too young to really appreciate this guy

They were interviewing Dan Issel, maybe one of the best college players ever and he had this to say

"I was the second leading average scorer in college basketball that year and Maravich beat me by 10 points......10 points per game"

Rupp's philosophy was you can't guard Maravich, but he can't beat you by himself, so they'd let Maravich score his 40 or 50 points and then watch LSU lose to UK. Maravich, as great as he was, was 0-6 against Kentucky and back then, the league champ would be the only team to go to the tournament. The tragedy in that is Maravich never got to play in a single NCAA tournament game.

If you get a chance, watch that episode just to watch what Maravich was doing in the game. The NCAA had also outlawed the dunk so this guy was putting on a show every game.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:33 pm

eCat wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:00 pm I suspect most of you can't stand the idea of watching it but the Southern Basketball series on ESPN is pretty good. Of course the first episode is a Kentucky love fest, but then it gets to the 70s with Pete Maravich. I was too young to really appreciate this guy

They were interviewing Dan Issel, maybe one of the best college players ever and he had this to say

"I was the second leading average scorer in college basketball that year and Maravich beat me by 10 points......10 points per game"

Rupp's philosophy was you can't guard Maravich, but he can't beat you by himself, so they'd let Maravich score his 40 or 50 points and then watch LSU lose to UK. Maravich, as great as he was, was 0-6 against Kentucky and back then, the league champ would be the only team to go to the tournament. The tragedy in that is Maravich never got to play in a single NCAA tournament game.

If you get a chance, watch that episode just to watch what Maravich was doing in the game. The NCAA had also outlawed the dunk so this guy was putting on a show every game.
Southern Basketball is a great series....At about the 5 minute mark of the second episode, they tell the story about Mississippi State's Joe Dan Gold. Gold was from Benton, Kentucky and was the Superintendent for 8 years here in Morgan County where I taught 7th grade. Had many a conversation with Joe Dan but not one time did he ever mention about the team having to sneak out of town to play Loyola of Chicago. Joe Dan is best remembered for the center court handshake with Jerry Harkness of Loyola that stunned those watching the game. Joe Dan died while residing here in the county back in 2011. Pretty decent fellow to converse with if you could actually get a word or two in the conversation.

BTW... hope all is well with you, eCat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dan_Gold

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:38 pm

AAAAAHHHHHH!!! GHOST!!!

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:18 pm

I’m watching the SEC Southern Hoops series. The 10 part ACC Tournament History is well worth your time, too.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:09 am

hedge wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:10 pm "Lakers made some nice moves as well."

What'd they do, trade Jack Nicholson for Spike Lee?
They got rid of Westy because he's all braun and no brain. He could change if he wanted to but he probably won't. Just charges in head first on every play with no clue for what might happen 5 seconds later. Never won a title. Kinda reminds me of you actually.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:11 am

crotch wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:33 pm
eCat wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:00 pm I suspect most of you can't stand the idea of watching it but the Southern Basketball series on ESPN is pretty good. Of course the first episode is a Kentucky love fest, but then it gets to the 70s with Pete Maravich. I was too young to really appreciate this guy

Southern Basketball is a great series....At about the 5 minute mark of the second episode, they tell the story about Mississippi State's Joe Dan Gold. Gold was from Benton, Kentucky and was the Superintendent for 8 years here in Morgan County where I taught 7th grade. Had many a conversation with Joe Dan but not one time did he ever mention about the team having to sneak out of town to play Loyola of Chicago. Joe Dan is best remembered for the center court handshake with Jerry Harkness of Loyola that stunned those watching the game. Joe Dan died while residing here in the county back in 2011. Pretty decent fellow to converse with if you could actually get a word or two in the conversation.

BTW... hope all is well with you, eCat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dan_Gold
They spoke very highly of him - I didn't know he lived up around your area

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:12 am

here is what happens when the coach of the mens basketball team hides the gun one of your players used in a shooting

https://www.koat.com/article/new-mexico ... s/42198476

in the few minutes I read about it, people are resigning, getting fired, suspended - I don't think they even know who is in charge right now