hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:03 pm

aTm wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/us/p ... e=Homepage

Ummm, what the fuck? Deciding that you don't like the actions of the President and taking executive branch actions to get a group together to fabricate the President's unfitness under the 25th Amendment is deciding whether you are all in or not on a fucking coup attempt. The way you remove him for political and criminal behaviour if thats what you think he did, is you bring the evidence to the legislative branch as evidence for them to impeach his ass. Jesus Christ, the fact that someone can even admit thats what they were trying to organize is sickening.
Under what circumstances do you think it would be appropriate to invoke the 25th Amendment? I mean, it's there for a reason. I'm not saying they should do this to Trump, just saying it is there for a reason. So what circumstances do you think would rise to the level of invoking it? Just keep in mind, whatever you say, there would surely be supporters of the president (whoever he may be at whatever point in history) who would claim you were orchestrating a coup. But irregardless, I still want to know under what circumstances do you think it would be appropriate to invoke it...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm

The only reason I can think they would have legitimately pulled it off is if they thought Trump was leveraged by the Russians - like they had a blackmail situation

But McCabe is the last guy to make that call considering he was part of the "insurance policy" people expecting Hillary to win
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:52 pm

hedge wrote:
aTm wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/us/p ... e=Homepage

Ummm, what the fuck? Deciding that you don't like the actions of the President and taking executive branch actions to get a group together to fabricate the President's unfitness under the 25th Amendment is deciding whether you are all in or not on a fucking coup attempt. The way you remove him for political and criminal behaviour if thats what you think he did, is you bring the evidence to the legislative branch as evidence for them to impeach his ass. Jesus Christ, the fact that someone can even admit thats what they were trying to organize is sickening.
Under what circumstances do you think it would be appropriate to invoke the 25th Amendment? I mean, it's there for a reason. I'm not saying they should do this to Trump, just saying it is there for a reason. So what circumstances do you think would rise to the level of invoking it? Just keep in mind, whatever you say, there would surely be supporters of the president (whoever he may be at whatever point in history) who would claim you were orchestrating a coup. But irregardless, I still want to know under what circumstances do you think it would be appropriate to invoke it...
Its pretty obvious that the circumstances intended are if the President truly is physically unable to do the job anymore (like in the hospital or whatever). Under the 25th, the VP would immediately become acting President but it would be rescinded as soon as Trump shows up at the Capitol and says "Hey guys I'm fine" at which point he would automatically be President again. If the VP and the executive branch cabinet didnt desist at that point I believe it goes to Congress for a vote anyway where they would need 2/3 vote of the entire Congress. That means that even if their little coup was successful, to be legal it would actually be even harder than impeachment because this way requires 2/3 of both house and senate combined whereas impeachment requires majority only in House and 2/3 in Senate.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Based on that fact alone it seems it never could have really succeeded anyway. After some thought, I would guess its more like a fantasy McCabe either made up in his own head, or something that he just wants the media to gleefully spew, since he knows they will eat it up, for whatever reasons of his own.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 pm

he's trying to sell a book

just like Comey
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 pm

The sick and twisted part is Comey, McCabe, Strzok, Page, Oher, Clapper, Brennan, maybe Rosenstein and Mueller, and who knows who else, who abused their official positions to pursue personal partisan vendettas, and attempted a coups of a legitimately elected sitting president, all claim that it was Trump who is a threat to democracy and a traitor to the country.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:29 pm

It would be easier to shoot him in the head in a moving car from atop a building. But that ignores the other pressing problem: You would need to kill everyone else in government and most of the people in the country if you really want to save it

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 pm

"Its pretty obvious that the circumstances intended are if the President truly is physically unable to do the job anymore (like in the hospital or whatever). Under the 25th, the VP would immediately become acting President"

I agree now that I've actually looked at it, but I was pretty surprised that this amendment was only passed in the wake of JFK's assassination. We've had plenty of presidential assassinations (and I suppose a death or two by natural causes?) and everything proceeded smoothly, why did they need to pass an amendment to the constitution?

However, the wording of Section 4 does seem like it makes a coup constitutionally acceptable. So I guess it wouldn't really be a coup if it's right there in the constitution, although I can hardly think of anything more unlikely to happen than a basically physically healthy president being removed by way of the 25th amendment...

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Good news guys, lynching is gonna be a federal crime.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:02 am

not a fan of Trump declaring emergency to build wall

I would rather he do a net positive like go hard after Mexican drug cartels, freeze their accounts, confiscate their money and funnel it to building the wall

That's how you get Mexico (and Central/South America) to pay for the wall

Would it be enough to pay for the wall? no, not even close, but it would be a huge PR win for Trump, it would create chaos in Mexico - especially with corrupt Mexican officials.

It might motivate Mexico to get serious about stopping immigration on their side of the border. Hell, they might even offer to help build the wall.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:47 pm

The wall is one of the worst ideas ever, from eminent domain to the ecological mess it will make to the staggering cost, not to mention that IT WONT STOP BEANERS FR COMING IN. Here's a thought: Stop giving them handouts and free health care when they get here.

The wall is a scam, not a solution

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:17 pm

I've said all along the wall is symbolic

its about showing we are serious about legal immigration or not.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Here's a list of the 28 active national emergencies:

1. Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)

2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)

3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (Jan. 23, 1995)

4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (Mar. 15, 1995)

5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Oct. 21, 1995)

6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (Mar. 1, 1996)

7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (Nov. 3, 1997)

8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Jun. 26, 2001)

9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (Aug. 17, 2001)

10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (Sept. 14, 2001)

11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (Sept. 23, 2001)

12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (Mar. 6, 2003)

13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)

14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)

15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (Jun. 16, 2006)

16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Oct. 27, 2006)

17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (Aug. 1, 2007)

18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (Jun. 26, 2008)

19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (Apr. 12, 2010)

20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (Feb. 25, 2011)

21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Jul. 25, 2011)

22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)

23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (Mar. 6, 2014)

24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (Apr. 3, 2014)

25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)

26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (Mar. 9, 2015)

27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (Apr. 1, 2015)

28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (Nov. 23, 2015)

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 pm

eCat wrote:I've said all along the wall is symbolic

I don't see how a symbolic gesture shows you're serious. In fact, I'd say more often than not a symbolic gesture says you're not serious, but you want to make a meaningless (symbolic) gesture so you can pretend like you are. And I don't think Trump is serious about this issue, b/c if he was serious he knows that would mean he'd have to spend a lot of time and brainpower, neither of which he possesses, actually trying to figure shit out, which again is something I think he is massively uninterested in. The only thing he's interested in is not being made to look like he was beaten politically. I doubt he cares at all about keeping a campaign promise, but he just personally does not want to appear to be beaten on this (non)issue...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:24 pm

eCat wrote:I've said all along the wall is symbolic

There's a lot of areas we can shore up our policy and address the problems without building a costly but ultimately useless monument to govt' corruption and power. This was about getting votes and then funneling the money to build it to those who paid for the privilege.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Wish you were beaten like a baby seal.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:04 pm

I don't see how a symbolic gesture shows you're serious. In fact, I'd say more often than not a symbolic gesture says you're not serious,
Then wearing lady part hats, Congress women wearing white, kneeling for the national anthem, wearing various various colored ribbons, flying rainbow flags, etc. mean those who do these things aren’t serious?

I am also uneasy about the emergency declaration. It feels good now, but it feels fraught with unintended consequences. Some future Democrat president might declare a national emergency declaration and disband the Marine Corps to pay for a transatlantic high speed train.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Haha, WTF? I had to double check that this was actually his account tweeting this.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:29 pm

LOL

He knows that bringing the sass just incenses them more, and by the looks of the twitter responses he would be right.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:58 pm

Saint wrote:The wall is one of the worst ideas ever, from eminent domain to the ecological mess it will make to the staggering cost, not to mention that IT WONT STOP BEANERS FR COMING IN. Here's a thought: Stop giving them handouts and free health care when they get here.

The wall is a scam, not a solution
Bernie said it best. Despite Trump's love of finger-pointing brown folk it wasn't immigrants picking strawberries for chump change that broke the economy. It was the greed and criminal behavior of Wall St that did it. And to say Trump has done fuck all to fix the actual problem is missing the point that he's marshaling in the next crash as we speak.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor