Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Greg's Ramblings LIV

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Reflective missive from a JPMorgan supermodel-turned-intern
Forget the Greek debt crisis and the concerns of the EU! I have just come back from a trip to Chalkidiki, the birthplace of Aristotle. I could not help but enjoy the warmth and positive lifestyle of the Greeks.

And, although most of them are going through a difficult time, the magic of ancient times is palpable at every turn — and it is inspirational.

We could learn a lot from the Greeks. I asked myself on the flight back: How is it that a people who lived more than 2,000 years ago, could grasp the world and its social laws as well as we can — or sometimes even better? Our brain has not evolved since the Sophists, who spent their lives trying to criticize outdated theories about the world?

Maybe this is already the whole truth: Life and business have accelerated. The average citizen no longer has the time to devote himself consistently to considering a problem or theory. We’re too busy with our obligations to do something else, to be on the road, earn money, cultivate relationships, everything, as we rush through our live. And because we do so many different things, we believe, we believe we have more overall.

But the opposite could be the case.

TV, Internet, magazines, radio: They just throw us all out snacks, small, consumable doses that do not widen our perceptions. The concept of far-reaching debate over important questions and their integration into a larger context has fallen by the wayside. More than that, our appetizers of internalized consumption threatens the kind of transfer of knowledge over the long run. Millions of daily blog posts, dedicated Facebook and Twitter messages, the mere linking of information that arises elsewhere. As we “reduce to the max,” there is a risk that we’re losing entirely our interest in deeper thoughts.

How do we recover a more contemplative state? One strategy, which enjoys great popularity in the U.S., is called simply "mindfulness.”

It is basically Buddhist meditation enriched with stress reduction strategies. It’s psychological therapy with [a] simple core: The patient is encouraged to carefully deal with their own environment, without judging things in the first instance. The idea is to come to terms [with] the things around us, to take time for a simple recognition and viewing of all that seems new or strange to us. Once recognized, the doctrine of mindfulness teaches, this new awareness will help us make decisions and take initiatives. We’ll act instead of always reacting.

This is a technique slower cultures have long since known. Yoga has been practiced for thousands of years, with yogis sometimes spending weeks or months spent in seclusion. The Sabbath, the Jewish day of rest, where not merely the work but all other routine activities were prohibited, served much the same purpose as the Christian Sunday. Time set aside for contemplation and regeneration, once central to the lives of so many people, has lost its central role in our lives.

An idea needs continual spiritual nourishment, and especially the right environment in order to flourish. The collection of impressions and information we gather from the orgy of discordant information that surrounds us, can cause a flash of inspiration. But the human brain needs time to process it well. The misunderstood "reduce to the max” must be a properly understood. Less is more!
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43808221
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Conservative David Brooks was ravaged by the tea-partiers for this post:

The Mother of All No-Brainers

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/opini ... ef=opinion

The members of this movement do not accept the logic of compromise, no matter how sweet the terms. If you ask them to raise taxes by an inch in order to cut government by a foot, they will say no. If you ask them to raise taxes by an inch to cut government by a yard, they will still say no.

The members of this movement do not accept the legitimacy of scholars and intellectual authorities. A thousand impartial experts may tell them that a default on the debt would have calamitous effects, far worse than raising tax revenues a bit. But the members of this movement refuse to believe it.
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 pm

The Tea Party is full of fools disguising their ignorance and unsophistication as "principles."
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:56 am

I'm starting to think that default is an actual goal of some on the Right. Messing up the government's ability to borrow is a great way to reach the cherished goal of dismantling the US version of the welfare state.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

I'm not sure how the other kid got just simple assault...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/06/mis ... index.html

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:42 am

saw that earlier this week, effed up

what about all the other kids that were in on it?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by It's me Karen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 am

This just made me sick. I can hardly sit still I'm so damn mad. And simple assault??!! Are you kidding me??!!

RIP James.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:40 am

It is a shame. The driver and apparent instigator weighs 130 pounds and likely faces a double life sentence. I am sure he will be well received by the black inmates in the prison he is assigned to.

I would be willing to bet that the kid with simple assault turned state's witness and offered testimony about the crime.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:51 am

I would be willing to bet that the kid with simple assault turned state's witness and offered testimony about the crime.
Good point.

Dot made a much better point that slipped past me. There were two trucks of people, but only 2 guys get charged? None of the other individuals who contributed to the frenzy and willingly piled in a car to do a premeditated deed get charged with anything? Smells like bullshit.

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 pm

The latest in the GR unofficial archive of Clarence Thomasology:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... rentPage=1

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh, my!
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Really good article. My opinion of Thomas is now actually not as low as before...but it's still low. At least he has a philosophy that he follows, which is more than I originally thought.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:41 am

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

I KNEW IT!

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:52 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... _blog.html

In “The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin,” Joe McGinniss’ soon-to-be-published book for former Alaska governor and vice-presidential candidate, one tidbit, passed along by the National Enquirer, concerns former NBA player Glen Rice.

Palin, according to the book, had a fling thing with Rice in 1987, while he was in college and she was a sports reporter fresh out of college and working at KTUU in Alaska. Rice was a junior at the University of Michigan at the time and their one-night stand occurred while he and the Wolverines were playing in the Great Alaska Shootout. Less than a year afterward, Palin, hockey mom and former basketball player (she used this memorable hoops analogy in 2009), married her husband Todd.

According to the Enquirer, Rice confirmed the relationship to McGinniss. And, because keeping score is important, Michigan lost, 79-64, to Arizona in the semifinals. The Wolverines finished third, beating Alabama-Birmingham. Rice was named to the all-tournament team.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:45 pm

A publishing source told The Enquirer that McGinniss claims Sarah had a "fetish" for black men at the time and he quotes a friend as saying Sarah had "hauled (Rice's) ass down."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/sarah-pa ... z1XyB6f8Qd
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 pm

TheBillWalton The Bill Walton Trip

Sarah Palin had an intimate relationship with Glen Rice in the 80s. Rice tried to resist but he was never one to stop anyone from scoring.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:03 pm

bomani_jones Bomani Jones

i'd also pay for video of glen rice like, "wait, that lady on tv...where i know her from? she looks...oh snap, is that snow dog?"

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Q: What did Sarah Palin say when she met Glen Rice?
A: "Drill, baby, drill!"
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Like I told my boy, I never did see Palin as racist...just opportunist.

She's probably pissed that she fucked him in Alaska...because, if it was in NY, LA, Michigan, Texas or Florida, Glen would not even remember

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:40 am

New meaning to the expression white on rice......
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.