The Lockout

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Re: The Lockout

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:47 am

hah, so true

some of his angles on stories are very creative and would be so much more well received if he just applied more subtlety

all that said, if he did that he may not get as many views

he doesnt back away from the fact that he leans heavily on the race factor, so at least he admits it
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 am

for what it's worth, the report I read on RealGM notes that Jordan is reppin' a group of small market owners who are leveraging their hard stance on the BRI in order to get more desirable profit sharing from the big market teams

based on that dynamic, his actions are more "owners versus owners" than they are "owners versus players"
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:43 am

the latest offer:
The NBA’s proposal last night called for the taxpayers to have a “mini-midlevel exception’’ at $2.5M and have it available just once every two years. The taxpayers also would not be allowed to acquire free agents through sign-and-trades. Both items were considered deal-breakers to the union.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... z1cvdjjVbc
I'm actually good with those restrictions

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:13 am

J.J. Hickson's career in the Israeli league is reportedly complete. Noam Schiller, who writes for Hardwood Paroxysm and Cowbell Kingdom, tweets that Hickson has been cut after just one game because he was late for two straight practices. Schiller cites Hebrew-language reports from Israel.

Hickson put up solid numbers in his Hasharon debut last week, but was a stunning -44 as the team got whooped. He had replace the Wizards' Trevor Booker as the team's power forward after Booker suffered an injury, but it doesn't seem as if it was a good fit.

Hickson was the only member of the Sacramento Kings to sign overseas during the NBA lockout to this point. Earlier in the lockout, there were rumors about Marcus Thornton considering offers in China.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:37 pm

KBergCBS Ken Berger
For those baffled why there's no deal: Guess how many sign-and-trades were executed by tax payers during previous CBA? No, really, guess.

KBergCBS Ken Berger
Your answer, from union source: FIVE sign-and-trade deals were done by tax-paying teams during previous six-year CBA.

KBergCBS Ken Berger
This is something season could be canceled over, folks. FIVE sign-and-trades in six years. And wait until you hear what they were...
KBergCBS Ken Berger
Three in '05-'06: Knicks-Eddy Curry; Memphis-Marko Jaric; Lakers-Kwame Brown and Laron Profit. Destroyers of competitive balance, all.

KBergCBS Ken Berger
Two in '09-'10: Suns-Hedo Turkoglu (basketball-driven deal); Mavs-Shawn Marion.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Like I said, the owners have small market fans convinced this shit is about making it so all teams have a chance to win a chip...while it's all about small teams' owners being protected from their bad management from a financial perspective. Bad teams with bad management will stay bad teams, they'll still have low attendance when they play the Sixers and the Hawks of the world, but they won't be saddled with huge losses for their own personnel management.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:01 pm

you dont think taking the full mid-level away from tax teams helps even things out? Or making it harder for teams that spend over the tax 3 out of 5 years?

Lakers would not have been able to get Artest and would have been left with a much tougher decision regarding keeping Ariza

After reading some more on what I posted above I kind of understand why they're doing it. Without the full MLE tax teams are going to have rely heavily on sign & trades in order to circumvent the rules

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Nope, I don't think it helps even things out. The Ron Artest deals are not what makes team's championship squads. The only team I think something like that maybe would've hurt was the 2006 Heat. They had a boatload of guys taking less cash to suit up with Big and Wade (and they probably would have taken less). Outside of that, I'm not sure if it will help the Indianas and Torontos of the world.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Unless it's late March, nobody cares if the NBA plays or not.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Nah, Christmas day, then no real casual interest until Mid/Late January. The fans fall out of attention during the end of March for three and a half weeks, but otherwise they like their Sunday background TV to be something and the NBA takes that slot.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 pm

If the season is cancelled, will college basketball and MLB be the big winners?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:31 pm

No joke, I'm switching to hockey if the season is toast. My Flyers are doing their best to get my attention.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Bklyn,

I would like to recruit you to be an Anthony Grant/Bama fan. Amenities include a 403b, stock options, and mad cash.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 pm

I 'on't know, AA. SEC basketball? Never felt right to me.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:13 pm

I'll throw in a McRib.
— Abraham Lincoln

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Hockey is where it is at. Fuck the NBA and all it stands for.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I'll throw in a McRib.
Heh. I've actually never had a McRib. I remember when I first heard of it as a kid in the 80s, it just seemed like it wouldn't be good. So, I've never even had the inclination to try it.

My love is for the McGriddle. Bacon, egg and cheese. They can retire the McRib forever and I'll be solid.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:18 pm

You sir are dead to me.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, I figured. I tried to keep quiet in TGP when the topic swirled around, but I just pulled the equivalent of the cast member hiding from the serial killer in the horror movie avoiding detection and shifting slightly knocking over a vase....

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Okay, Bklyn. I can't offer you any more. I'm already at my fan recruitment cap.
— Abraham Lincoln