Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:21 am

twitter feed from someone who claims ESPN is brokering a deal for FSU and Clemson to leave the ACC and joining the SEC. Multiple posts breaking down the financial reasons

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:31 pm

ESPN may think they own the SEC. They do not. So whatever financial "deals" they think they are putting together, they have no real authority to implement them to contract. If the SEC actually made offers to either FSU or Clemson to join (an actual invite that has never been made), rest assured, they would be gone. That day. Gone. That is assuming that the deal given to Clemson or FSU is as good as what Texas and Oklahoma got (but it likely would not be.)

Getting Stanford and CAL into the ACC was huge. It was huge specifically because the deal was so good financially for the teams already in the conference. And lets not even talk about the trailer-park-wife-beating that SMU agreed to.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:03 pm

last I heard the SEC wanted UNC in the mix as well.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

The Anti k*
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by The Anti k* » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:13 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:03 pm last I heard the SEC wanted UNC in the mix as well.
I sure hope so. When the ACC dies, I don’t want to become Maryland in the boring B1G wasteland.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:39 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:21 am twitter feed from someone who claims ESPN is brokering a deal for FSU and Clemson to leave the ACC and joining the SEC. Multiple posts breaking down the financial reasons

Why would ESPN expose itself to hundreds of millions in liability for tortious interference and other contract claims?
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:51 pm

They wouldn't. The attorney here is correct.

Politics and the state of Virginia meant the demise and death of the Big East as a meaningful sports conference. Their fate was brought about in 2003 by the actions of one governor and a few phone calls to the BOT at UVa. Yeah, UConn won back to back basketball championships. The Big East used to win so much more than that. Fast forward 19 years (to 2022) and an ever worse fate befell the conference of champions.

All this is, all of it, is the SEC and the B1G(Ten-then11-then12-then14-nowwhateverthefuckitis) wanting as many tv VIEWERS as possible, while having as few schools in the conference that don't have many viewers, and not wanting to share tv money with the other conferences. That is it. That refusal to share while maximizing their own interests, that meant poaching the West Coast of the Los Angeles schools and the demise of the Pac-12. Gone.

The ACC and the Big-XII(now 16) are doing all that they can to survive. They know they can't make anywhere near the money that the SEC and the B1G(fuckitwhateveritis) can make. But they make even less if they lose their primary institutions with the most viewers. So to keep the Clemsons and the FSUs happy, they make all sorts of financial extortion deals with CAL and SMU and Stanford who signed the soul away to have.... well, anything.

Pretty fucking gross out there. But this is all raw capitalism. Raw.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:17 pm

I’m changing my position if IB agrees with me.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:41 pm

You shouldn't. On this you are correct.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:05 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:03 am reports are Scott Drew says no to UK

it gets ugly now

Bruce Pearl, you're on deck

joking

crying
I wonder how old Drew’s kids are. Maybe they are teens and are not wanting to move. These days guys have to be family men, first rather pursue money and fame.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:26 pm

he still has kids in school, Waco is all they've known, the whole family is valued members of the community - and its religious based.

There wasn't enough money to get him to take his family away from that . Plus, if Baylor loses in the first round of the NCAA, he'll get a pat on the shoulder and a "we'll get'em next year"

He wasn't going to subject himself to UK

but that bad part though is our AD told anyone who would listen for the past 2 years that Drew is Calipari's replacement

so he has a lot of egg on his face , and with Hurley turning down $100m, Kentucky really has no one they are excited about other than Donovan.

Donovan has a bad habit of leading ADs and GM's on and then dumping them last minute. He is the reason we ended up with Gillespie.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:39 pm

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:45 pm

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:48 pm

White Smoke from the Katican!

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:28 pm

Weellll, maybe this will put an end to UK's sass of UNC for "keeping it in the fambly." I would go back and dig up some of eCat's rants upon (and beyond) the hiring of Hubie, but that would just be rubbing salt in the wound. Popey! Popeye!! BWHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:29 pm

Just saw some stats on Popey on ESPN (yes they too are laughing their asses off about this), he's won 20 games in 4 out of the last 5 seasons. Wow, UK really swung for the fences on this one, didn't they? Well, actually they did, but they whiffed every time, and had to end up groveling to Popey to please come home (b/c every other halfway decent coach told UK to go fuck themselves, and now recruits will do the same). Well, at least Crotch will be pleased....

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 pm

At least UK didn't go begging to Doh to come out of retirement. But the night is still young....

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:39 pm

With Baylor, Kansas, Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, Texas Tech, and now Arizona in the Big-XII(16), the Big-XII is the most difficult conference in the country to win in men's hoops. So sure, Pope should coach Kentucky. The SEC is a much easier men's hoops nut to crack.

(runs from board before shit hits the fan)

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:59 pm

Too bad hes the worst coach in the SEC… sort of joking…
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:52 am

Pope is a great guy

but there is no sugar coating it. Fans are going to be pissed

When I went to bed last night I had read that Pope had got a face to face interview with Mitch.

you guys scooped me on this.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:13 am

welp, I'm gonna do everything I can to support the guy as a fan.

I gave money to the NIL. I'm going to try to get tickets to a game next year, albeit a shitty one

people will be penciling in Ark/Louisville games next year.

Character wise I don't think you could ask for a better person. He is easy to like.

Will he win? not anytime soon I'm afraid